When You Can Apply for UK Visa Extension?You can apply for a UK Visa Extension when your current tourist visa expires. But if you are already planning to extend your visa, submit your visa extension application a month beforehand, so you have plenty of time. It would be great to apply for the UK visa extension at least three months before your existing visa expires.
Which UK Visa Can Be Extended?UK visit visa holders can extend all types of visas. However, the visa applicant needs to be sure that they do not fail any of the extension requirements. But if you have a Tier 5 youth mobility scheme visa, you cannot extend it further. An individual having this visa can stay in the UK for two years with an entry visa. If visitors want to stay longer, they have to return to their country and apply for a visa again.
What Are the Documents Required to Apply for Visa Extension?Here are the documents required to apply for a visa extension:
- Completely fill out the application form for a UK visa extension
- Birth certificate of the children (if you are applying for a visa extension for the child)
- Your education certificate or documents
- Work or course joining documents for which you want to get a visa extension
- Valid passport copy
- Finance proof that shows you have enough funds to handle the expenses of studying or traveling to the UK
- Certificate of ATAS (Academic Technology Approval Scheme) (if needed)
- Police Registration Certificate (if needed)
- Paid healthcare surcharge (if needed)
- Two photographs (go through the UK photographs specifics)
Other Requirements of UK Visa Extension
- Here are some more requirements to apply for the UK Visa extension, which are as follows:
- You can apply for a visa extension in the same type of visa that you are currently holding
- Apply for the visa at least 6-8 weeks before your current visa expires
- Before applying for the UK visit visa extension, do ensure you are not enrolled in criminal activities or break the law of UK immigration. If you are found guilty, you cannot extend your visa.
- Visa holders need to provide biometric information, including photographs, fingerprints, and other information mentioned in the application form
- Be sure you do not breach immigration laws when applying for the UK visa extension.
Key Note: You are allowed to stay for a certain period even after the visa expires if you are applying for the UK visit visa extension.
How to Apply for UK Visa Extension?
Visa holders can apply for a UK visa extension while staying in the UK and even out of the UK.
When You Are in the UK
- You can apply online for visa extension through standard extension priority services.
- You can apply for an extension of the visa at the Premium Service center in-person to have the same-day decision on the extension application.
- Enroll in the course to get the visa extension of study visa. If you are working here and traveling, explain why you need to extend the visa.
- Your documents will be verified at the immigration office
- Once your documents are verified, you have to attend an interview in which some questions will be asked about your personal circumstances. You will get a bio-metric residence permit to extend your visa if your application is approved.
When You Are Out of the UK
- Send the visa extension application via post office to the official address written on the visa application form.
Length of UK Visit Visa ExtensionThough you can ask for a visa extension, there are some limitations on the extension period. This means your visa is extended only for a particular period. The maximum period of visa extension is as follows:
- Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa- For Maximum 2 years
- Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa- For a maximum of 5 years
- Tier 2 Sportsperson Visa- For a maximum of 14 days to 3 years
- Tier 5 Temporary Worker Visa- For a maximum of 2 weeks to 1 year
- Tier 5 Creative and Sporting Visa
- Create Worker Visa- For a maximum of 2 weeks to 1 year after the end of the sponsorship certificate.
- Sportsperson Visa- For a maximum of 2 weeks to 1 year after the expiration of the sponsorship certificate.
- Tier 5 Visa extension for temporary workers of the Government Authorized exchange and International Agreement- For 6 years.
- Tier 5 temporary worker and religious worker – Maximum 2 weeks to 2 years.
- Extension for UK Work visa
- The visa can be extended for researchers and training persons or individuals who enroll in an overseas government language program for up to 2 years.
- The Turkish Business Visa can be extended for 3 years (Only if the person is working within the same company). If you do not have complete documents, you need to re-apply for the visa.